CNPA Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CNPA Forums

General Discussion

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What does it all mean? - CNPA Convention 07

Go down 
AuthorMessage
EricaCNPA

EricaCNPA

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2007-06-13

What does it all mean? - CNPA Convention 07 Empty
PostSubject: What does it all mean? - CNPA Convention 07   What does it all mean? - CNPA Convention 07 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2007 8:33 pm

Well, I'm back from the CNPA convention and there's going to be quite a few posts here over then next couple of days. I heard a lot of questions, ideas and concerns that I'm going to address as thoroughly as I can. These were some of my thoughts.

Like a Star @ heaven Issue #1 Like a Star @ heaven

I heard this from many publishers: “I charge for my newspaper. Why should I give it away for free on the internet?”

Well, let me start by saying this: I consult on multimedia, not marketing or accounting. As such, take what I say here with a grain of salt. That being said, let’s take the plunge…

As Rob Curley mentioned, there is only one type of content people will pay for and that is nudity. Even there, pirated and other free content abounds. The bottom line, or one of them, is that users generally won’t pay for content.

Is this bad news? Maybe. Take Google, arguably one of the largest providers of free content and applications. Personally, I use Google for mail, searches, word processing, spreadsheets, RSS reader, blogging, chat and phone service… All without paying a penny. The only one I’m paying for all of this is my internet provider, who I have plenty of issue with, but that’s a conversation for another time. Even with not only free content (blogs and news, mostly) but a whole array of free services, Google makes a great deal of money.

I went and asked about newspaper revenue: where does it come from? Charging for papers or advertising? The answer I got was that charging for the paper makes up about one quarter of newspaper profits- the rest is advertising.

Well, seems like a simple answer, doesn’t it? Just advertise on the internet! But it looks like there is a wrench in the works. An ad in the printed paper can command a far higher price than it can in the online edition. So how do you bring up the online revenue without charging for content? Exposure is what you’ll need to recoup the difference in prices. How? Exposure.

I know I’m not saying anything new here. It’s the difference between collecting a huge sum for one ad or a smaller amount from a bunch of sources. So the real issue seems to be how to generate enough traffic to command a good price and a lot of advertisers.

Well, what does a newspaper have going for it that no one else has when they break into online publishing? Credibility. You’re a newspaper! You’ve already got a reputation for accuracy and accountability in your community that no start-up blogger has. Now all you have to do is cater to their need for content.

Last edited by on Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.cnpa.com
EricaCNPA

EricaCNPA

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2007-06-13

What does it all mean? - CNPA Convention 07 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What does it all mean? - CNPA Convention 07   What does it all mean? - CNPA Convention 07 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2007 8:47 pm

Like a Star @ heaven Issue #2 Like a Star @ heaven

Content:

So how much content do you keep exclusive to print or online? Any? All? Do you want to drive your online readers to pick up a paper or vis versa? Well, the idea would be both, wouldn’t it? Then you keep your audience and get the advertising dollars for both media. How can it be done?

To reference Rob Curley again (which I’ll do often, I’m sure), things have a tendency to bleed over. Remember the kids sports that began online but did so well that it got printed? When it comes to something they love, people will grab most anything they can get their hands on. If a story or series does well in print, expand it online. Tease a video or a multimedia presentation. Your early adopters will be the print crowd, but you’ll be able to lure them online! If a story does well online, do the opposite- expand it in print. When the (usually) younger crowd wanders by the newsstand and recognizes the section, showcase the new material. Catch their eye and make them pick up that newpaper.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cnpa.com

What does it all mean? - CNPA Convention 07
Page 1 of 1