CNPA Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CNPA Forums

General Discussion

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Nigeria scam targeting newspapers

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
hanksims

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2006-12-21

New Nigeria scam targeting newspapers Empty
PostSubject: New Nigeria scam targeting newspapers   New Nigeria scam targeting newspapers EmptyThu Jan 18, 2007 11:07 pm

Friends:

Tell your colleagues in the class ads department -- there's a new scam going around targeting newspaper readers.

Ask them if they've gotten any ads like the following, involving English Bulldogs or other pedigreed breeds:

Quote :
ENGLISH BULLDOG, m/f-immediate adoption, AKC reg, health-100%, dewormed, 1st shots, vaccinated, 15 -16 lbs, 11-wks, bwn /white, raised in loving home $600 ea. (incl. shipping) lv msg 206-309-4742 or email asap:askdebbiej @yahoo.com

Then look at the e-mail they received requesting the ad, and thrill as you track it back to Nigeria or Mauritius. I see our friends at the Stockton Record, the Half Moon Bay Review, the Kern Valley Sun and the UCSD Guardian have already fallen for this particular one.

It's like a double rip-off. They'll pay for the ad with a stolen credit card, then scam anyone unlucky enough to respond.

Things you want to look for: Initial contact from a Yahoo e-mail account, by a person who is purportedly living or traveling out of state. The bogus ads I've found involve English Bulldogs and Yorkies, though I'm sure other breeds are on offer as well.

Happy hunting!

Hank Sims
Editor
North Coast Journal
Back to top Go down
Maria Rodrigues CNPA

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2006-12-20

PostSubject: [b]Employment scam ads[/b]   New Nigeria scam targeting newspapers EmptyTue Jan 23, 2007 4:09 pm

One California newspaper just notified us of 2 two scam employment ads that ran in December. The thing that really scares them about these is that this newspaper doesn't require cash with copy upfront on employment ads, and bills them since they are businesses. So, not only are these scam ads getting through because they look legitimate, the scammers aren't even paying for the ads themselves. Here's what the two scam ads looked like:
---
Ad Copy

Safety Manager for SA based corp, F/T. Excellent salary & benefits.
Supvrsn. exp. req'd. Call Reg. V.P. 626-584-4101.

Property Manager For luxury condo community. FT. Salary + free rent of
furnished condo. Call Reg. Supv. 813-814-3896.
---

The scam on these are that when an applicant calls, they are directed to another number to call where they leave their contact info on a voicemail box. The scammers call back directly, offer an interview but tell them to send half the cost of an airplane ticket to them and the "company" will pay for the other half and purchase the plane ticket for the applicant to come for an interview. Two individuals so far actually sent money.

Watch out for those employment scam ads.

Maria Rodrigues
Cal-SCAN & Cal-SDAN Manager
Back to top Go down
Maria Rodrigues CNPA

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2006-12-20

PostSubject: Scam ads Alert- Part-time Job   New Nigeria scam targeting newspapers EmptyMon Dec 17, 2007 10:02 pm

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. The "Pets for sale" for English Bull dogs and pedigreed pets scratch scratch scratch Sad have resurfaced. Please make sure you check and verify information before running any ad that sounds too good to be true.

New scam ads that are being sent via email with variations of text are as follows:

1st Email-
Hello,
I wish to inform you that I will like to place an ad for
Employment . Below is the content of my ad.

TITLE : PART TIME JOB

DESCRIPTION: As part of our expansion program a small company is looking for part time Work from home account payment representatives,it pays $3000 a month plus benefits and takes only little of your time.
Please contact us for more details. Requirements - Should be a computer Literate. 2-3 hours access to the internet weekly. Must be over 19yrs of age. Must be Efficient and Dedicated.If you are interested and
need more information,Contact Donald Sherryton,Email:
donaldsherryton01@yahoo.com

Do let me know how much it will cost to run my ad for 3 weeks in your paper and i will be paying via my Credit Card.I will be more than happy to get a response from you as soon as possible,so that my advert can start soonest.

Kind Regards.
Helen Ellington
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Email-
1. The ad will run for 3 wks

> 2. Comapny:HYSACO MECH
> Contact person: Helen Ellington
> Address: 97 W. Main Street #7 Glenville, WV 26351
> Phone: (847) 354-4154
> Email: helen_ellington@yahoo.com
> Method of Payment: VIA CREDIT CARD
> Run Dates: 3WKS (IMMEDIATELY)
>
> Please get to me as soon as possible so i give you the card details so that
> the ad will will be published.
>
> Regards,
> Helen Ellington.

Hello,
My name is Hopkins Macauly I will like to place an advert for Mech
Factory as an Job employment for the post of Sales Manager.I will
need the cost for 3weeks.

AD TEXT: As part of our expansion program a small company is looking for
part time Work from home account managers and sales representatives, it
pays 3,600 Dollars a month plus benefits and takes only little of your
time. Please contact us for more details. Requirements - Should be a
computer Literate. 2-3 hours access to the internet weekly. Must be over
19yrs of age. Must be Efficient and Dedicated.If you are interested and
need more information.
Please send e-mail to hopkins.macauly@gmail.com
Contact name :Mr Hopkins Macauly

Payment will be made out via Credit card.

Feel free to contact me (916) 288-6010 if you have any questions
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Nigeria scam targeting newspapers   New Nigeria scam targeting newspapers Empty

Back to top Go down

New Nigeria scam targeting newspapers
Page 1 of 1