CNPA Forums

General Discussion

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Cutting out paid subscriptions worked

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
EricaCNPA

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2007-06-13

PostSubject: Cutting out paid subscriptions worked   Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:58 pm

Quote :
Ever since the NYTimes.com swept away the last remaining boulders of its subscription pay wall (aka Times Select) in mid-September, its traffic has been going through the roof. According to comScore, it gained 7.5 million readers worldwide from the end of August through the end of October (November numbers are not out yet). That is a 64 percent jump (to a total of 19.4 million). Similarly worldwide monthly pageviews surged 52 percent in that time period to 181 million. Other major news outlets like BusinessWeek.com (4.4 million readers in October), the WSJ.com (3.6 million, with a subscriber wall), and Wired.com (3.2 million) saw gains as well during the Fall, but nothing as dramatic as the NYTimes.com.

Read the rest of the story
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cnpa.com
Lacey

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2007-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Cutting out paid subscriptions worked   Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:31 pm

Woohoo! Those numbers are exciting.

I realize a key factor in trying to make sense of page views is having the more reliable stats you get from requiring users to register... but I've given up on reading so many Bee stories because I'm too lazy (and annoyed) to register. I hope in the long run it is more profitable to give free unfettered access to content!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://shcstrider.blogspot.com

Cutting out paid subscriptions worked
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1